Friday, December 14, 2012

THE COUNCIL WELCOMES JODIE NEALLEY



by Jodie Nealley, M.S., Program Specialist. Jodie is shown here outside the house made famous by the TV show Charmed. It was important for Jodie to visit this house because she believes in "the magic of compassion, the magic of change, the magic of recovery, the magic of the moment, [and] the miracles that happen."







Greetings! I am Jodie. I have officially joined the Council as an employee after doing some volunteer work for the organization.


Fulfilling is the word that I choose as I begin my work here. Foremost of which, is to improve and expand the Council’s 24/7 Helpline in order to better serve the needs of problem gamblers, their families and the health care practitioners and providers who support them. The Helpline is one of the backbones of the Council. It gives substance to its slogan – “We understand the problem. We can help.” Through the Helpline people experiencing problems with gambling and their family members can talk to a person about issues surrounding their own or their loved one’s gambling.

One of the hardest issues those with a gambling disorders deal with is feeling that they are alone in their problems. They are not. You are not. I am not. At the Council, we have many resources that we can send out to people and resources we can direct people to that can help them to know that they are not alone in the problem. The visual image that I have is the problem gamblers standing there and a crowd of people behind him like in the popular cell phone provider ad. “Are you there?” the problem gambler asks; and the Council – the crowd- says “Yes – we hear you loud and clear and are here to help.”

As a graduate of St Lawrence University and Indiana University, I have experience in both the academic world and the school of hard knocks (most self-inflicted).  I spent over 30 years working in Higher Education and am currently working toward my license in Addiction Counseling.

By nature I am an optimist who believes that we, to some extent, create our reality by thinking clearly and positively about what it is we want out of life. One of my favorite illustrations of this idea is the scene in Star Wars V when Luke is training with Yoda in the swamp. He cannot believe in the power of the force and when asked to lift a star fighter out of the swamp, he tries and fails. As we see mighty Yoda do it, Luke says ‘I don’t believe it’. Yoda turns and says, ‘that is why you failed.’ Luke did not see in his heart that he had the power to do what Yoda asked. He could not visualize success.

I have been lucky and I have helped make my own luck. A lot has to do with positive thinking and faith. Faith that things will work out. Faith that believing is better than not believing, that moving forward – however slowly- is better than standing still, that the glass is half full.  It takes no more energy to think an optimistic thought rather than a pessimistic thought. It takes faith I suppose that thinking positively pays off but really why choose the alternative.

Abraham Lincoln said, “People are about as happy as they make themselves out to be.” I know in reality this line of thinking is simplistic and does not – cannot work for everyone – but it works for me and I believe very strongly in its power for good.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment