Thursday, March 3, 2011

Margot's Blog- Problem Gambling Awareness Week 2011

Hi Everyone - I am Margot Cahoon, Communications Specialist for the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling. I live on Cape Cod with my sweet husband and my two very active and fun little boys. Being a wife, mother, daughter and friend is a huge part of my life, but my career is also extremely important to me. Admittedly, it is a juggling act!

For the past 16 years, I’ve worked in public relations; primarily promoting the good work of leading, national non-profit healthcare organizations. I feel truly blessed to have found a profession doing what I love.

I have had the pleasure of working for the Council since 2003. As Communications Specialist, I manage the marketing communications (website, brochures, newsletters, Annual Reports, advertising) and public relations (talking with reporters, working on news stories) activities of the organization.  It’s a very rewarding job. Not only do I work with some very committed, talented and kind individuals, but I also feel; albeit in a small way, as though I have been given the opportunity to help people.

I’ve been super-busy this past month preparing for Problem Gambling Awareness Week.  This year, the grass-roots public awareness and outreach campaign that is lead by the National Council on Problem Gambling, is being celebrated March 6 – 12.  The goal of the campaign is to educate the general public and health care professionals about the warning signs of problem gambling and to raise awareness about help that is available locally.

In Massachusetts, we don’t have much of a budget for promotion, so I’ve tried my best to use the funding that I do have, creatively. Press releases, radio public service announcements, TV public service announcements, billboards, print ads in college newspapers and recovery center newsletters, Facebook ads, contests … oh my!  If you are interested in all of the details, I would be honored if you read the story that I wrote about it.  I would also love it if you commented on my blog or “talked” with me about your thoughts and experiences with problem gambling.

The Problem Gambling Awareness Week campaign was launched a few days ago in Massachusetts. As a result, it is my hope that more people will call our Helpline at 800-426-1234 or chat with our Helpline specialists online at masscompulsivegambling.org., and that people experiencing the devastation caused by gambling problems will get the help they need to restore themselves to a normal way of thinking and living. 

Without a doubt, the most rewarding part of this job is seeing people who have found recovery and have completely turned their lives around.  It happens every day : ) 

*Here is a photo of Margot in her professional role- spreading the word about problem gambling with Susan Wornack.






*Here is a photo of Margot with her family.

2 comments:

  1. If you want to win at roulette consistently then follow the time tested roulette online systems with a systematic strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that you were able to find a profession you love. Nice post by the way! Well, for me, gambling is acceptable as long as it does not become controlling and overly indulged in. Just my two cents!


    no deposit bingo sites

    ReplyDelete