Monday, November 25, 2013

Being Thankful is Good for Your Health

By Sasha C. Russell, Program Specialist – Communications, The Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling

 










Last week, our Communications Intern, Thalia Yunen, discussed ways to be happy in recovery. One way to be happy and to keep a positive attitude is by recognizing all that you have. Sometimes people who are struggling with gambling and with being in recovery, or those whose family members are impacted by the disorder, can start focusing on losses, and in turn, lose sight of what they have right in front of them.

The article “A Dose of Gratitude: How Being Thankful Can Keep You Healthy” by Robin Madell, says that studies done on the topic of positive psychology have shown that people who are aware and thankful for what they have tend to:

·         take better care of themselves physically and mentally,

·         engage in more protective health behaviors and maintenance,

·         get more regular exercise,

·         eat a healthier diet,

·         have improved mental alertness,

·         schedule regular physical examinations with their doctor,

·         cope better with stress and daily challenges,

·         feel happier and more optimistic,

·         avoid problematic physical symptoms,

·         have stronger immune systems, and

·         maintain a brighter view of the future.

Though most people tend to focus expressing their gratitude during the month of November, it’s important that we remain thankful year-round to really understand and receive the full benefits that gratitude can offer. Madell offers four suggestions on how to maintain gratitude in November and beyond.

·         Focus Attention Outward: As the article states, “paying more attention to what’s happening around us versus inside of us can make all the difference in how we feel.”

·         Be Mindful of What You Have: The focus here should not be on what we don’t have, but what we do have. For example, having the latest material items such as TVs, cars, clothes, and electronic devices, aren’t going to help you on your recovery journey. What will help you, is having a support system, be it family, friends, or even your local 12-step group.

·         Keep a Gratitude Journal: This is something that I have decided to start doing myself. Though I don’t always remember to write down what I am thankful for, I make a point each night to think about at least one thing that I feel grateful for. In some cases this process has caused me to go back to focusing my attention outward by reaching out to friends, old and new; family; and acquaintances to let them know they’re appreciated. Sometimes it’s because of something they did for me, and other times I want them to know I appreciate them just for existing. Doing this has helped me to reconnect with some people, and build stronger relationships with others.

·         Reframe Situations as Positive: Everyone’s life experience is different. The more you continue to let yourself be bogged down by unrealistic expectations and negative thinking, the harder it will be to feel better about yourself and your life. Personally, I try to make a point to find at least one positive point to every negative situation I find myself in. Many times the positives are hard to see, but keep looking – as they say, under every rain cloud is a silver lining.  

We recognize that expressing gratitude doesn’t erase problems, but, it can aid in helping you feel better about a situation that is bringing you down. If you or a loved one are experiencing struggles with gambling, and having trouble finding your silver lining, don’t hesitate to call our 24/7 helpline: 800.426.1234. We understand the problem. We can help.

1 comment:

  1. You should write about the model/version on the blog. You can expose it's perfect. Your blog examination should widen your readership.I am really grateful for your blog post. I find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work..looking for affordable and trusted hosting?come and visit

    agen88.net

    ReplyDelete