Thursday, November 1, 2012

THE COUNCIL WELCOMES SASHA RUSSELL


Hi, I am Sasha. I have recently started working in the Council’s Communication Department.

I am so excited to be here, and happy to say that I have already begun diving right into the many upcoming projects and already attended my first conference– and it’s only Day 3!
 
I have my Master’s Degree in Applied Sociology, which I received from UMass Boston. I moved here after graduating with my Bachelor’s from Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY.

Compulsive Gambling is an issue that I have dealt with my whole life, though not as the gambler, but as a family member. Since I was young, my mom struggled with compulsive gambling. While she is currently in recovery, she has had a few relapses. It’s a battle that will never be gone from our lives, but I'm happy to be able to continue to help her, not just as her daughter but as a professional too. Many of my family members have struggled with substance abuse and gambling, both of which have helped carve the path my personal and professional life has taken.

I grew up in a small town, where many people don’t graduate high school, and if they do, they don’t always go on to or finish college. As I grew up, I watched a lot of family and friends get lost to drugs and alcohol. Always being so focused on that, it took me a long time to recognize and then cope with my mom being a compulsive gambler. I struggled with many of the decisions my friends and family members have made, and continue to make today – a key factor in my decision to move away from the area where I grew up, and remove myself those situations.
 
When I was in high school, I wanted to study World Religions in college. I went to a Catholic High School and thought that maybe religion would be a way to dissect why people make the decisions they do. It wasn’t until reaching college that I discovered Sociology and started being active in a couple different social action groups. Sociology has helped me to look at the world with open eyes, mind and heart.

Inspired by the struggles of my family and friends, my passion spread like a fire and I was determined to do work that was important to me and could help others in my situation. So, with a little hard work, and patience, I have finally found a place at the Mass Council.
# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment