Tuesday, December 13, 2011

COUNCIL INTERESTED IN FORMING WOMEN’S PROBLEM GAMBLING GROUP

 by Karen Sicher, Administrative Manager, Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling

My name is Karen and I am a compulsive gambler.  I have been in recovery for compulsive gambling since 2007 and feel very lucky to have found support from friends, family members and the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling.

When I hit rock bottom, I contacted the Mass. Council on Compulsive Gambling and I was given caring, compassionate support on how to handle what I was going through and referred to a wonderful, trained clinician who really understood my addiction.

Following is my story: 

I started gambling when I was in my early 40’s and it quickly became a way of life for me.  No one in my family or in my circle of friends knew that I was gambling because I was too embarrassed to tell them.  I gambled because it made me feel good and had filled a void in my life.

I was so drawn into the thrill of winning and the excitement that surrounded it.  I was heavily in debt and found myself taking money from an employer.  I said to myself on many occasions, I will take it and win big and put it back, but unfortunately I never did.  It came to the point were it was overwhelming and it consumed me – my every thought.  I hurt my friends and family and became an embarrassment to many but no one really understood what I was going through. 

Ultimately, I was incarcerated in federal prison for 27 months. There, I had the opportunity to get to know many women just like myself - professional women who got lost along the way – women who got caught up in gambling problems.  After serving my time, I returned to Boston and selected to do my community service at the Council.

I am proud to say that I was recently hired by the Council. I have started to rebuild my life. Yet, not a day does not go by where I do not think of the women out there who are still in the same position that I once was.  I believe strongly that women need to support one another – especially women who have experienced problems with gambling … For this reason, I am interested in forming a women’s group for women in recovery (or interested in recovery) for problem gambling. Does this sound like something you might want to be a part of? If so, please contact me at 617-426-4554 / karen@masscompulsivegambling.org. I look forward to hearing from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment